Are Bunions Cramping Your Style?
A bunion is a bone deformity that occurs in the big toe when it is moved out of place. It creates friction and pressure when it rubs inside your shoes and eventually angles in to the other toes. It is uncomfortable and painful and the skin becomes very tender and soft. The joint at the base of your big toe carries a lot of the weight when you walk and if you suffer from bunions the pain can be very intense. Some woman chose to wear sandals as often as possible or even jogging shoes to ease the pain.
- A bulging bump on the outside of your big toe
- Swelling, redness or soreness around the joint
- Little movement of the toe
- Persistent pain in and around the area
Are high heels really to blame?
Bunions run in the family but they can also be the result of the way we walk and yes, the shoes we decide to wear have a role in it too. You may start with the deformity from genetics but the shoes push it to progress quicker. Although men do not typically wear high heels they are prone to getting bunions as well. Bunions are universal between both sexes.
- Tight shoes add unnecessary pressure to the big toe
- Foot structure that can run in the family
- Foot injuries that were not properly tended to
- Flat feet can contribute to the formation of a bunion
- Protective shoe padding to eliminate the friction
- Removing corns or calluses on your foot
- Orthotic footwear or corrective devices
- Exercise to keep your joints mobile and in use
- Surgery to realign the toe
Bunion removal is a surgical procedure that corrects the deformed area of the big toe. It may be necessary if other methods do not relieve your pain. If you elect to have your bunion removed surgically you will want to discuss it with our team at Mid-Michigan Foot and Ankle Center. We have two offices conveniently located in Saginaw or Essexville. For an appointment call 989-790-8009 and schedule a consultation visit with Dr. Andrew H. Cohen who is board certified by the American Board of Podiatric Surgery. Bunions do not have to cramp your style!