Flat Feet Meet the Ground
If your feet hit the ground with a print that shows most of your foot, chances are you have flat feet. The best way to test that theory is to wet the bottom of your foot and make a foot print on a dry concrete surface. This will show your fallen arches and get you on the right track.
At Mid-Michigan Foot and Ankle Center we test and treat flat feet so you can move forward with a better step. This condition is usually associated with pronation (when your ankle bone leans inward as you walk) and when flat feet become painful it means the tendon in your foot has become inflamed or torn. Ignoring this condition can lead to permanent disability but if you take time to follow some of these simple suggestions you may see permanent results instead.
- Stretched or damaged tendons
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Abnormality from birth
These causes are contributing factors with flat feet in one way or another and eventually take you back to the importance of medical treatment. Most people who have flat feet do not experience pain however, there are symptoms that may help you diagnose the problem yourself.
Here are some “ if’s “ to help.
- If you notice that your feet are easily tired.
- If you have pain in your arch or heels.
- If you experience any difficulty standing or have back and leg pain.
- If you have trouble standing on your toes.
- If the inside bottom of your feet become swollen.
- Consult a podiatrist for medical treatment as soon as possible.
- Weight loss can take the pressure off the bones, ligaments and tendons in your feet.
- Physical therapy may be recommended depending on the diagnosis.
- Supportive shoes will help long term changes. Avoid tight shoes, high heels or unnaturally shaped shoes.
- Orthotics that are custom made can give the best results.
If you think you may have flat feet or would like to confirm your own diagnosis, contact Dr. Andrew H. Cohen at Mid - Michigan Foot and Ankle Center located in Saginaw or Essexville Michigan. For an appointment call 989-790-8009 and let us help keep your feet in the best shape!