Foot Care 101
Foot care is easy to skip because our feet are not the first thing we look at each day. However, they will absolutely remind us that they are there when they are in pain. Here are some basic foot care suggestions to keep your feet healthy.
- Wash your feet every day and notice any changes in color or temperature. Peeling on the soles can indicate athlete’s foot, while discolored toe nails can be a sign of a nail fungus.
- Trim your toenails straight across and not too short or close to the nail bed. Cutting into the sides can cause ingrown toe nails.
- Select the right shoe, it is extremely important especially as you get older. The wrong shoe can create more conditions than you bargained for and the fashion industry is sympathetic to style and health therefore, they offer more options.
- Be aware when testing home remedies for foot conditions as they can turn a minor issue into a larger one if not you’re guided correctly. Calling a podiatrist can be a quick and simple way to get the right answer.
- Trade your shoes out for a spare pair every day as this could save you from getting athlete’s foot or any other related fungal condition.
- Walking bare foot certainly feels good on the right turf but it can put you at risk of injury and infection and let’s face it, that isn’t as much fun. Sandals are a good alternative and still allow your toes to get some air.
- Do not ignore foot pain, it is your body’s way of telling you that there is something wrong! Please contact us if you are experiencing foot pain.
- If you are a diabetic you should take extreme care by using both your podiatrist and general doctor to ensure you are not missing anything.
- Use moisturizing lotion to help keep skin dry. Just a small amount a few times each day does the trick.
- Walk daily and let those toes go around the block a few times. A simple solution that keeps your feet moving and stay healthy!
Mid-Michigan Foot and Ankle Center is conveniently located in Saginaw and Essexville, Michigan. If you are experiencing pain in your feet or just need a check up on chronic issues call Dr. Andrew H. Cohen for an appointment at 989-790-8009. Understanding basic foot care allows your feet to take you where you need to go!