Muscle Strain Can Equal Ankle Sprain
The Michigan winter season can be a time of hibernation for the best of us and this means our muscles are relaxing too. When an unusually warm day comes our way in the colder months we tend to enjoy a quick walk, jog or run after being inactive. Stretching is necessary to wake up our muscles before we hit the track to avoid ankle injuries.
What are some common causes for ankle injuries?
- Cold muscles
- Not stretching
- Rolling the ankle
- Running on uneven surfaces
- Wrong shoes
Three common exercises to help warm up your feet
- Toe Points - standing on one leg and lifting the other leg off the floor, gently point your toes and flex your toes hold for 40 seconds in each position
- Ankle Circles - standing on one leg and lifting the other leg off the floor, gently point your toes and rotate your ankle in a complete circle 5 - 10 times
- Calf Raises - find a secure spot to hold on to, putting both feet together, gently lift onto toes and lower to heals 5-10 times
Helpful hints to create a better experience and avoid injury
- Stretch before and after you exercise
- Focus on how your feet land - should be heal to toe without twisting
- Stick with a paved or flat track
- Invest in good running sneakers and athletic socks
At Mid-Michigan Foot and Ankle Center Dr. Andrew H. Cohen provides superior ankle care for sports injuries. Sprained or twisted ankles can be fixed easily with early treatment. Call our convenient offices in Saginaw at (989) 790-8009 or Bay City at (989) 893-5000 to get an appointment now. Exercise is important for good health all year round and no need to let a small injury slow you down!